Linking your domain name to a search engine will allow the search engine to index all relevant content on your website and keep track of pages and content as they are added, updated or removed.
Google Search Console also provides reporting on search engine results, an other handy information which should assist you in optimising your website.
Linking your websites sitemap.xml file with Google Search
At the time of writing you can sign up via https://search.google.com/search-console these steps may have changed since this post was written.
- Sign in with your existing Google account or create your account and sign in
- Click the option Add a property
- Choose either the Domain option (Requires DNS update - see Step Below) or URL Prefix option (Requires File, Meta Tag Upload + Other options - see steps below)
- Once you have uploaded the file or code and PUBLISHED the site to make it live on the domain. You should be able to verify ownership and have your site connected to Google Search Console via the VERIFY button.
- Once verified you can add your sitemap via the Sitemaps button in the sidebar. Enter sitemap.xml as your Sitemap URL
Downloading the verification file and uploading to your website from within the CMS
If you are using the file upload route - the following steps should assist with uploading the file for verification.
- Download the supplied verification file e.g. google000000000000.html
- Navigate to the FILES area in the content management system.
- Choose FILE MANAGER (PUBLIC AREA)
- From the Mangage Files Screen choose UPLOAD FILE and browse your computer to the location you downloaded the file.
- Press PUBLISH to make the file live on your website this may take up to 5 minutes.
- Verify the file (if it doesnt validate right away try again in a couple of minutes and test that the file has uploaded ok bu checking your website e.g. https://www.example.com/google000000000000.html
- Once successful you will see the dashboard for property.
Verifying by adding a meta tag into your webpage
- Highlight and copy the supplied meta tag e.g.
- In the CMS hover over the SEO button, then from the dropdown choose ANALYTICS/ADWORDS TRACKING
- Edit the section Other Tracking Code (and Meta Includes) (Before End Head Tag) and paste the meta tag into this area.
- PUBLISH the change.
- Wait a couple of minutes for the change to be published on your site, then verify.
- Once successful you will see the dashboard for the website statistics.
Verifying by via the Domain DNS option (Advanced Users)
- Click the Domains/Email Button
- From the list of domains and from the icons next to your domain, click the DNS icon (Streetsign)
- Click Configure A-Records, CName, SPF, Zone Records (Advanced Users)
- Add the TXT or CNAME record as indicated.
- Wait at 24 hours before testing.